Name the Rover Contest
Semifinalists Selected in Rover Essay Naming Contest
More than 28,000 K-12 students nationwide responded to NASA's call to "Name the Rover." With the help of thousands of volunteer judges, NASA has selected 155 semifinalists, from every state and grade level across the U.S. The essay contest winner will be invited to see the spacecraft launch in July 2020 from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. Stay tuned for a public poll with the top nine finalists in late January. The final rover name will be announced in March. Meanwhile, you can learn more about the Mars 2020 mission, and even see where the rover is now.
By participating in the essay contest, students:
- Learn about real NASA missions
- Apply their critical thinking skills
- Learn something new, and form questions about a place they may never have heard of
- Conduct research using NASA websites
- Applying their writing skills
The winning essay will be published on NASA's Mars Website.